Shephall or Sheephall, Hertfordshire
Shephall or Sheephall, a parish, with a village, in Herts, near the G.N.R., 2½ miles SSE of Stevenage, and 2 N from Knebworth stations on the G.N.R. main line. Post town, Stevenage; money order and telegraph office, Knebworth. Acreage, 1156; population, 206. The manor, with Shephall Bury, a fine mansion of red brick, standing in a park of 50 acres, belongs to the Heathcote family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £170 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is an ancient building of flint in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and western bell turret. There are numerous monuments to the Nodes family, who formerly owned Shephall Bury, dating from the 16th century.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shephall St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||St. Albans|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shephall or Sheephall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Shephall (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.