Shenley, a parish, with a village and three hamlets, in Hertfordshire, 2 miles E from Radlett station on the M.R., 4½ W of Potters-Bar station on the G.N.R., and 5 NW of Barnet. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Barnet Acreage, 4090; population of the civil parish, 1425; of the ecclesiastical, 1029. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manor belongs to the Myers family. There are several good residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £492 with residence. The church is a building of flint in the Early English style, and there is an Episcopal chapel in the village in connection with the parish church. There is also a Wesleyan Methodist chapel. The hamlets are - Green Street,. which is about 2 miles S; Rowley Green, which is 4 miles S; and London Colney, which is noticed separately.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shenley St. Botolph|
|Poor Law union||Hitchin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shenley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Shenley (St. Botolph))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Shenley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.