Sandon, a village and a parish in Herts. The village stands 3½ miles SSE of Ashwell station on the Hitchin and Cambridge branch of the G.N.R., and 4 SSW of Royston. It has a post office under Royston; money order and telegraph office, Therfield. The parish contains also the hamlets of Gannock, Green End, Lye End, Mill End, Sandon Bury Barn, Red Hill, and Roe Green, and comprises 4061 acres; population, 728. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £193 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Albans. The church is an ancient building of flint in the Later Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and an embattled western tower. It has a brass of 1480. There are Congregational chapels at Red Hill and Roe Green.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sandon All Saints|
|Poor Law union||St. Albans|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sandon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sandon (All Saints))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Sandon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.