Sacomb, a parish, with a scattered village, in Hertfordshire, 4 miles NNW of Ware, and 4 N from Hertford, which is the nearest railway station. Post town, Ware. Acreage, 1534; population, 250. The manor was known at Domesday as Sevechampe, belonged then to Peter de Valoignes, passed to the Fitzwalters, the Bapthorpes, the Plumptons, the Rolts, the Caswells, and others, and belongs now to the Smith family, who are the sole landowners. Sacomb Park is a chief residence standing in a park of about 150 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £200 with residence. The church is a small building of flint and stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and an embattled tower at the SW angle. It contains some ancient brasses and some memorials of the Rolt family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sacomb St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Buntingford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sacomb from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sacomb (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.