UK Genealogy Archives logo

Ridge, Hertfordshire

Historical Description

Ridge, a village and a parish in Hertfordshire. The village stands 2f miles W by S of Potters Bar station on the G.N. main line, and 3½ NW of Barnet, and has a post office under Bamet; money order and telegraph office, South Mimms. Acreage, 3615; population, 459. The manor belongs to the Earl of Caledon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £180 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Caledon. The church is a small but ancient building, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower; it was restored in 1885. There are five almshouses.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHertfordshire 
Ecclesiastical parishRidge St. Margaret 
HundredCashio 
Poor Law unionBarnet 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in association with the Hertfordshire Archives & Local Studies have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for Ridge


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Ridge from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Ridge are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictHertsmere
CountyHertfordshire
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtEN6
Post TownPotters Bar