Reed, a parish, with a village, in Herts, 3½ miles S from Royston station on the Hitchin and Cambridge branch of the G.N.R., and 4 N from Buntingford station on the G.E.R. It has a post office under Royston; money order and telegraph office, Barkway. Acreage, 1477; population, 206. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Barkway, in the diocese of St Albans; joint net yearly value, £316. The church is a small but ancient building of flint and rubble in the Saxon, Norman, and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Reed St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Royston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Reed from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Reed (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Reed are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.