Redbourn, a village and a parish in Herts. The village stands on the river Verlam and on Watling Street, has a station on the Luton and Hemel Hempstead branch of the M.R., and is 4¼ miles NW from St Albans. A very ancient place, it has a post, money order, and telegraph office under St Albans. Area of parish, 4563 acres; population, 2016. The manor was given by Egelwine the Saxon to the monks of St Albans; later it passed to the Rowlats, and belongs now to the Earl of Verulam. A cell to St Albans Abbey was founded in the 12th century. A fair is held on the first Wednesday after 1 Jan. There are silk and corn mills on the river Verlam, and straw-plait is manufactured. A large ancient camp is at Aubrey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £240. Patron, the Earl of Verulam. The church, which is partly Norman, is a building of stone consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower. It has some ancient tombs and memorials-, and a very fine carved oak rood-screen. There are Baptist, Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels. Beeson's End, Dean End, and Revel End are adjacent hamlets.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Redbourn St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Redbourn from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Redbourn (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Redbourn are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.