Eddlesborough or Edlesborough, a village and a parish in Buckinghamshire. The village stands near the boundary with Bedfordshire, and near Icknield Street, 4 miles W from Dunstable station on the G.N.R. and L. & N.W.R., and 5½ SSE from Leighton Buzzard. The parish contains also the hamlets of Dagnall, Horton, Hudnall, and Northall, and it has a post office under Dunstable; money order and telegraph office, Eaton Bray. Acreage, 3780; population, 1382. Straw-plait is made. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, £330. Patron, Earl Brownlow. The church, a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, occupies a fine site, contains some old stalls and two curious brasses. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Eddlesborough St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Leighton-Buzzard|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Edlesborough 1562-1812, Buckinghamshire is available to browse online.
The parish register dates from the year 1567.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The parish church of St. Mary, situated on elevated ground, and originally belonging to the monastery of Bonhommes at Asheridge, founded in 1283, is a noble edifice of stone in mixed styles, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north and south porches and a massive embattled western tower, about 70 feet high, containing a clock and 6 bells: the spire was destroyed by lightning Friday, March 21, 1828, when the whole interior work of the toer, and all the bells but one, became a complete wreck: the lower part of the tower is Early English: the chancel is fitted with ancient desks and seats, some of the latter having carved misereres, and has a trefoil-headed piscina and a plain recessed sedila, and there is another piscina in the south aisle: the nave is separated from the aisles by arcades of four arches on either side, springing from octagonal pillars: the rood stairs remain, and there is a fine screen exhibiting good tracery of Perpendicular date: the pulpit, 14 feet high, is an exquisite example of Decorated wood carving and retains a fine pyramidal canopy highly ornamented and terminating in a graceful finial; attached is an hour-glass stand: the font is octagonal, and has panelled sides, relieved by quatrefoils: there are brasses to John Rufford esq. with his effigy in armour, 1540, and to his three wives, Brygett, Anne and Elynore; and an inscription only to Henry Brugis, 1647, and Frances (Pygott), his wife, on the wall of the vestry. There are also two brasses, one of a rose, with inscription to John Killingworth, 1412, and another of John de Swynstede. 1395. the last rector here. There are other monuments to Margaret, wife of the Rev. Thomas Bayley S.T.P. principal of New Inn Hall, Oxford, 1701, and to various members of the Theed family, 1686-1701: the north chancel aisle is the burial place of the Ruffords, and besides the brass named above there are memorials to Thomas Rufford esq. 1572, and Philippa, his wife, and Thomas Rufford esq, 1599, and Anne, his wife: in the east wall, on a large stone corbel or bracket, is the sculptured figure of a dragon, and near it a man in armour holding a shield: there are some monuments also to the families of Hutchinson and Granger, 1632-1819: there is an ancient fireplace high up in the west wall of the north aisle: the church affords 270 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Edlesborough was in Leighton Buzzard Registration District from 1837 to 1935 and Aylesbury Registration District from 1935 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Edlesborough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Eddlesborough (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Edlesborough are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cDagnall
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online