UK Genealogy Archives logo

Radwell, Hertfordshire

Historical Description

Radwell, a village and a parish in Herts, near the boundary with Beds, on the river Ivel, 1½ mile NW from Baldock station on the Hitchin and Cambridge branch of the G.N.R., and 6 miles NE from Hitchin. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Baldock. Acreage of parish, 743; population, 101. Radwell House is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £154 with residence. The church, an ancient building of rubble and plaster in the Perpendicular style, has an ancient font and brasses of 1516 and 1602.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHertfordshire 
Ecclesiastical parishRadwell All Saints 
HundredOdsey 
Poor Law unionWatford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in association with the Hertfordshire Archives & Local Studies have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for Radwell


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Radwell from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Radwell are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictNorth Hertfordshire
CountyHertfordshire
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtSG7
Post TownBaldock