Puttenham, a village and a parish in Herts, on the Aylesbury Canal, adjacent to Bucks, near the Clinton Hills, 1¼mile SSW of Marston Gate station on the Aylesbury branch of the L. & N.W.R., and 8½ miles NW of Tring. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Tring. Acreage of parish, 796; population, 105. The manor belongs to Lord Rothschild. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £207 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is an ancient edifice in the Decorated and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower. It was partially restored in 1889.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Puttenham St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Hitchin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Puttenham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Puttenham (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Puttenham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.