Norton, a parish, with a village, in Herts, on the river Ivel, adjacent to Beds, 1 mile WNW of Baldock station on the Hitchin and Cambridge branch of the G.N.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Baldock. Acreage, 1751; population of the civil parish, 195; of the ecclesiastical, 282. The manor belongs to the Pym family. Norton Hall and Nortonbury are now occupied as farmhouses. Wilbury Hill is on the boundary, 1¼ mile SW of the village, is traversed by Icknield Street, and has remains of a Roman camp, covering an area of about 7 acres, where Roman coins have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; value, £26 with 58½ acres of glebe and residence. The church is an ancient building of flint in the Early English style, and consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Norton St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Royston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Norton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Norton (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Norton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.