Berkhampstead St Mary or Northchurch, Hertfordshire
Berkhampstead-St-Mary or Northchurch, a parish in Herts, on the L. & N.W.R. and the Grand Junction Canal, about 1 mile NW of Berkhampstead. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 3888 of land and 20 of water; population, 2351. An ancient structure, now used as a farmhouse, was originally part of a small priory. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £365 with residence, in the gift of H.R.H. The Prince of Wales. The church is Decorated English, and cruciform. There is a chapel of ease at Broadway, a beautiful edifice built in 1854. There are also a Mission church, a small Baptist chapel, and several parochial charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Berkhampstead St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Berkhampstead|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Berkhampstead St Mary or Northchurch from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Berkhampstead, or North-Church (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.