Newnham, a village and a parish in Herts. The village stands on a brook at the foot of high chalk hills, 1 mile E of the boundary with Beds, and 2¼ miles N of Baldock station on the Hitchin and Cambridge branch of the G.N.R., and has a post office under Baldock (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Ashwell. The parish comprises 975 acres; population, 125. The manor, with most of the land, belongs to the Mills family. The living is a vicarage in The diocese of St Albans; net value, £95 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, with an embattled parapet all round it, and consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with porch and embattled western tower. It has an ancient tomb, a brass of 1490, and another of 1607.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Newnham St. Vincent|
|Poor Law union||Royston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newnham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Newnham (St. Vincent))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Newnham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.