UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Meesden, Hertfordshire

Historical Description

Meesden, a parish in Herts, adjacent to Essex, 1¼ miles E by N of Buntingford station on the G.E.R. Post town, Buntiugford; money order and telegraph office, Barkway. Acreage, 1009; population, 178. The manor belongs to Baron Dimsdale. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £200 with residence. The church is a small but ancient building of flint, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and western bell-turret.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHertfordshire 
Ecclesiastical parishMeesden St. Mary 
HundredEdwinstree 
Poor Law unionBuntingford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in association with the Hertfordshire Archives & Local Studies have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for Meesden


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Meesden from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Meesden are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictEast Hertfordshire
CountyHertfordshire
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtSG9
Post TownBuntingford

Advertisement

Advertisement