Little Wymondley, Hertfordshire
Wymondley, Little, a village and a parish in Herts, 2 miles SSE of Hitchin station on the G.N.R. Post town and money order office, Stevenage; telegraph office, Graveley. Acreage, 1007; population, 411. The manor belongs to the Wilshere family. A Black priory was founded here in the time of Henry III. Coward College, for Protestant dissenters, was founded here in 1729, and was merged into New College, St John's Wood, in 1838. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £68 with residence. The church is in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and an embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Wymondley St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Buntingford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Wymondley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wymondley, Little (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Little Wymondley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.