Little Munden, Hertfordshire
Munden, Little, or Munden Frewell or Freville, a village and a parish in Herts. The village stands 3½ miles W of Standon station on the Buntingford branch of the G.E.R., and 5¼ N by W of Ware. The parish contains also the hamlets of Green End and Potters Green and parts of the hamlets of Dane End and Haultwick, and it has a post office at Dane End under Ware; money order and telegraph office, Watton. Acreage, 1774; population of the civil parish, 378; of the ecclesiastical, 415. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Dane End House, Libury Hall, and Green End House are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £382 witli residence. The church is a plain but ancient building of flint, dating from the 13th century, consisting of chancel with N chapel, nave, N aisle, N and S porches, and an embattled western tower with a spire. It has two very ancient altar tombs.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Munden All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Hitchin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Munden from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Munden, Little (All Saints))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.