Little Hadham, Hertfordshire
Hadham, Little, a village and a parish in Herts. The village stands on the river Ash, near the boundary with Essex, 3 miles WNW of Bishop Stortford, and 3 N from Great Hadham station on the G.E.R., and has a post office under Ware; money order and telegraph office, Much Hadham. The parish includes also the hamlets of Bury Green and Green Street. Acreage, 3082; population, 733. Hadham Hall is a large building of the Late Elizabethan period, and is the property of the Earl of Essex. It was visited by Queen Elizabeth in 1578. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £350, in the gift of the Bishop of London. The tithe computation value is £800. The church is Early English, in good condition, and consists of nave, aisle, transept, and chancel, with porch and square embattled tower. Little Hadham gives the title of Baron to the Capell family, Earls of Essex.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bishop-Stortford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Hadham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hadham, Little)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Little Hadham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.