Little Berkhampstead, Hertfordshire
Berkhampstead, Little, a parish and a small village in the county of Hertford, 5 miles ESE of Hatfield railway station, and 4 SW of Hertford, under which there is a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 1587; population, 430. Berkhampstead House is the chief residence. The observatory tower commands a fine view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £227 with residence, in the gift of the Marquess of Salisbury. The church was restored in 1893. Bishop Ken was a native. Epping Green and Howe Green are adjacent hamlets.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Berkhampstead St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Hertford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Berkhampstead from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Berkhampstead, Little (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.