Lilley or Lindley, a village and a parish in Herts. The village stands near the boundary with Beds, 4 miles NNE of Luton station on the G.N.R. and M.R., and 5 WSW of Hitchin, and has a post and money order office under Luton; telegraph office, Offley. The parish contains also part of the hamlet of Mangrove Green. Acreage, 1795; population, 526. The manor formerly belonged to the Dockwras family, and now belongs to the Sowerbys. Pntteridge Bury, the seat of the Sowerby family, is a modern mansion standing in a park of 450 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £310 with residence. Patron, St John's College, Cambridge. The church, rebuilt in 1870-71, is a building of flint in the Early Decorated style. There is also a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lilley St. Peter|
|Hundred||Hitchin and Pirton|
|Poor Law union||Hitchin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lilley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Lilley (St. Peter))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Lilley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.