Letchworth, a parish and a village in Herts, adjacent to the source of the river Hiz, and near Icknield Street, 2 miles from Hitchin railway station. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Hitchin. Acreage, 1131; population, 79. All the property, with the manor, belongs to the Alington family. An ancient camp, 7 acres in area, with steep sides, and with a rampart 5 feet high, is on the Wilbury Hills, and a tumulus is half a mile S of it. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £260 with residence. The church, which dates from the end of the 13th century, is a small building of rubble and flint in the Perpendicular style. It has a memorial window and two ancient brasses. The manor house or Letchworth Hall is an ancient building of brick, erected in 1620. It is now occupied as a farmhouse.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hitchin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Letchworth from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.