Layston, a parish in Herts, three-quarters of a mile E of Buntingford station on the G.E.R. It was known at Domes-day as Ichetone, it had a village which for some time was a market-town, and it now contains part of the town of Buntingford. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Buntingford. Acreage, 1434; population of the civil parish, 889; of the ecclesiastical, 1091. Layston House and Cor-ney Bury are chief residences. The manor belongs to the Butt family. The living is a vicarage, united with the perpetual curacy of Buntingford, in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £167. The church is a building of flint in the Early English and Perpendicular styles.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Layston St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Buntingford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Layston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Layston (St. Bartholomew))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.