Knebworth, a village and a parish in Herts. The village stands 3 miles S of Stevenage and 83- NW of Hertford. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Steven-age, and a station on the main line of the G.N.R. Th& . parish contains also part of the hamlet of Broadwater, and the hamlets of Rustling End and Winter Green. Acreage, 2679; population, 382. The manor belonged to the Hoos and the Hotofts, from whom it passed to the Lyttons, and belongs now to the Earl of Lytton. Knebworth House, the seat of that nobleman, is a fine mansion originally erected in 1563, rebuilt in 1811, and extensively enlarged in 1883, standing amid extensive gardens and a well-wooded deer park of 120 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £336. Patron, the Earl of Lytton. The church is an ancient building of flint and brick, partly Norman and partly in the Early English style; consists of chancel with N chapel, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower, and contains some ancient brasses and some handsome monuments of the Lyttons. There is a Congregational chapel, and there are five almshouses which are supported by the Earl of Lytton.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Knebworth St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Hitchin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Knebworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Knebworth (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Knebworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.