Kings Walden, Hertfordshire
King's Walden, a parish in Herts, near the boundary with Beds, 6 miles SSW of Hitchin station on the G.N.R. main line. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Hitchin. Acreage, 4392; population, 1124. The manor belonged to Earl Harold, and passed to Peter de Valoines, the Nevilles, and others. The Bury, a fine mansion of red brick standing in a large deer park, was rebuilt in 1892-93. The living is a donative vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £150. The church is an ancient and handsome building of stone in the Transition and later styles, was restored in 1869, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower. Breachwood Green is a large village, 1 mile S, and has a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kings Walden St. Mary|
|Hundred||Hitchin and Pirton|
|Poor Law union||Hitchin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kings Walden from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Walden, Kings (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.