Kimpton, a village and a parish in Hertfordshire. The village stands 2½ miles E of the boundary with Beds, 3 N of Wheathampstead station on the G.N.R., and 7½ S by W of Hitchin. The parish contains also Peters Green, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Welwyn. Acreage, 3677; population, 991. Kimpton Hoo, a seat of Viscount Hampden, and Lawrence End are chief residences. The manufacture of straw-plait is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £316. Patron, Viscount Hampden. The church, which is a building of plastered brick in the Early English style, is of various dates, was much injured by the Parliamentarians in the Civil War, underwent extensive restoration and enlargement in 1857-62, and the tower and belfry were partly restored in 1888-89. It comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a chapel on the S side, porch, and embattled tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a workmen's institute with a parish room erected in 1879, and two small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kimpton St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Hundred||Hitchin and Pirton|
|Poor Law union||Hitchin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kimpton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Kimpton (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Kimpton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.