UK Genealogy Archives logo

Kelshall, Hertfordshire

Historical Description

Kelshall, a village and a parish in Herts. The village stands 2½ miles SE of Ashwell station on the G.N.R., and 4 SW by S from Eoyston. Post town, Eoyston; money order and telegraph office, Therfield, Acreage, 2360; population, 241. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value, £368 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, plain, and good, with a tower, and contains a few brasses and monuments.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHertfordshire 
Ecclesiastical parishKelshall St. Faith 
HundredOdsey 
Poor Law unionRoyston 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in association with the Hertfordshire Archives & Local Studies have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for Kelshall


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Kelshall from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Kelshall are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictNorth Hertfordshire
CountyHertfordshire
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtSG8
Post TownRoyston