East Claydon, Buckinghamshire
Claydon Botolph and Claydon East, two villages about half-a-mile apart, which together form the parish of East Claydon in Buckinghamshire, 1½ mile SW from Winslow Road station on the L. & N.W.R., and about 3 miles WSW of Winslow, under which is a post office; money order and telegraph office, Winslow. Acreage, 2396; population, 343. The-living is a vicarage annexed to the rectory of Middle Claydoii in the diocese of Oxford. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Claydon St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Winslow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1583.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The parish church of St. Mary, at East Claydon, is an ancient fabric of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and an Early English chapel on the south side which retains a piscina, and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 5 bells, which were recast and rehung in 1929: it was thoroughly restored in 1871, the chancel being restored at the expense of the Rt. Hon. Sir Harry Verney bart. P.C. the patron: there is a monument to the Abel family and a tablet recording the restoration: a stained east window and an oak reredos were erected to the memory of the Rev. Thomas Huntley Greene M.A. vicar 1879-87; there is an illuminated and framed record of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: there are 250 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
East Claydon was in Winslow Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Claydon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Claydon, East (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of East Claydon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cBotolph Claydon
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online