Ickleford, a village and a parish in Herts. The village stands on the river Ivel, adjacent to Icknield Street, the O.N.R., and the boundary with Beds, under Wilbnry Hills, 2 miles N of Hitchin, and has a post office under Hitchin, which is the nearest railway station; money order and telegraph office, Hitchin. The parish comprises 1035 acres; population, 529. Ickleford House is the seat of the Ryder family, who are lords of the manor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £229 with residence. The church consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower, underwent extensive repairs in 1859, and contains the grave of Henry Boswell, king of the Gipsies. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ickleford St. Catherine|
|Hundred||Hitchin and Pirton|
|Poor Law union||Hitchin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ickleford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ickleford (St. Catherine))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Ickleford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.