Hunsdon, a village and a parish in Herts. The village stands near the river Stort and the boundary with Essex, 2 miles NE from Eoydon station on the G.E.K., and 5 ESE from Ware, and has a post office under Ware; money order and telegraph office, Stanstead Abbots. The parish comprises 1971 acres; population, 532. The manor belonged to the Ferrars, the Engaines, the Goldingtons, the Oldhalls, and the mother of Henry VII.; had a castle of the Oldhalls, and was made an honour by Henry VIII. Hunsdon House, a moated mansion, was built on the site of the Oldhall's castle, by Henry VIII.; was occupied or visited by Henry VIIL's children; and was given by Queen Elizabeth to her cousin Cary, Lord Hunsdon. The building, now almost wholly modernized, is the seat of the Charrington family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £224 with residence. The church is a building of flint in the Early Perpendicular style; consists of chancel, N aisle, nave, and mortuary chapel, with tower and spire; and contains a curious brass and several handsome monuments. Hunsdon Bury, Mead Lodge, and Briggins Park are chief residences.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Ware|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hunsdon from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Hunsdon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.