Hinxworth, a village and a parish in Herts. The village stands near the boundary with Beds and Cambridgeshire, 4½ miles N from Baldock station on the G.N.R. The parish comprises 1463 acres; population, 289. It has a post office under Baldock; money order and telegraph office, Ashwell. Roman antiquities have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, a£200 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. The church is an ancient building of flint, in various styles, consisting of nave, chancel, and porch, with low tower and spire, and is good. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hinxworth St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Royston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hinxworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hinxworth (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Hinxworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.