Hertingfordbury, a village and a parish in Hertfordshire. The village stands between the rivers Maran and Lea, adjacent to the Hertford and Hatfield branch of the G.N.R., 2 miles WSW of Hertford, and has a station on the railway, and a post and money order office under Hertford; telegraph office, Hertford. The parish contains also the hamlets of East End, Stains Green, Cole Green, Birch Green, and Letty Green. Acreage, 2645, of which 20 are water; population, 797. The manor was given at the Conquest to Philip de Valoines; passed to the Duchy of Lancaster, and, with Panshanger House, belongs now to Earl Cowper. Panshanger House is a stately castellated mansion of grey stone erected in 1801 and subsequent years by Peter, fifth Earl Cowper. It contains an extremely valuable collection of paintings, and stands in a well-wooded park of 500 acres. An oak, nearly 20 feet in girth at 10 feet from the ground, is in Panshanger park. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Letty Green, in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £340. Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is an ancient building of brick and rubble, dating apparently from the early part of the 15th century, consists of nave, N aisle, S porch, and chancel, with tower and spire, and contains some beautiful monuments of the Cowpers and others. There are a chapel of ease at Letty Green, and charities worth about £116 a year.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hertingfordbury St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Hertford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hertingfordbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hertingfordbury (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Hertingfordbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.