Dunton, a village and parish in Bucks, near the source of the river Thame, 4 miles SE by S from Winslow town and railway station on the L. & N.W.R. Post town, Winslow; money order and telegraph office, Stewkley. Acreage, 1197; population, 71. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; value, £220 with residence. Patron, Lord Camngton. The church is a small building of stone.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dunton St. Martin|
|Poor Law union||Winslow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1577.
Church of England
St. Martin (parish church)
The parish church of St. Martin is a small building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower of Early English date, containing 3 bells: there is a flat tombstone on the floor of the chancel to two infant sons of Dr. Charles James Blomfield, Bishop of London (1826-56), who held the living of Dunton, which was his first benefice, from 1810: in the chancel are two low-side windows, a piscina and an aumbry: under the chancel arch is a brass, with part of an inscription to . . . wife of Richard Collys, 1510; on a slab are figures of a man and woman without name, but about 1420, and on the same slab another brass to John Botton (1518) and Augnet, his wife: the ancient font, divided into two portions, and for many years made to serve as a doorstep to the tower, was rescued and restored by the Rev. T. J. W. Fisher B.A. rector 1904-7, who also provided an oak reredos: on the old western gallery, are the names of all the rectors since 1576; the first recorded rector was John Pernfour, 1221: there are brasses to three men of the parish who lost their lives in the Great War, 1914-18: outside the church is a Norman doorway, now blocked, on which is a carving of The Temptation: the church affords 95 sittings; the seats are 18th century box pews.
Dunton was in Winslow Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dunton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Dunton (St. Martin))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Dunton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online