Great or Much Wymondley, Hertfordshire
Wymondley, Great or Much, a parish in Herts, 1½ mile SE by E of Hitchin station on the G.N.R. It has a post office, of the name of Much Wymondley, under Stevenage; money order office, Stevenage; telegraph office, Graveley. Acreage, 1491; population of the civil parish, 255; of the ecclesiastical, with St Ippolyts, 1149. There is a parish council of seven members and a chairman. Some Roman urns containing ashes were found in 1881, and the ruins of a Roman villa with tessellated pavement in 1884. There are some remains of an ancient fortification of unknown origin. The manor belongs to the Wilshere family. The living is a vicarage, united with St Ippolyts, in the diocese of St Albans; joint net value, £176 with residence. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient building dating from the early part of the 12th century, consisting of apsidal chancel, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower. It was well restored in 1884.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hitchin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great or Much Wymondley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wymondley, Great)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.