Great Munden, Hertfordshire
Munden, Great, a parish in Herts, 2½ miles W by S of Braughing station on the Buntingford branch of the G.E.R., and 6½ N of Ware. It contains the hamlet of Munden Fumival and parts of the hamlets of Dane End and Haultwick, and its post town is Ware; money order and telegraph office, Puckeridge. Acreage, 3759; population of the civil parish, 476; of the ecclesiastical, 439. There is a parish council consisting of five members with a chairman. Eowne— Nunnery was founded here in the time of Henry II. by the Duke of Brittany, but went to extinction before the time of Henry VI. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £400 with residence. Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church, an ancient building of flint, is partly Norman but mainly Decorated English, with some interpolated windows of Later English; went into a ruinous condition; was restored, throughout the body, in 1866; and consists of chancel, nave, S aisle, and S porch, with an embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Munden St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Ware|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Munden from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Munden, Great (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Great Munden are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.