Great Hormead, Hertfordshire
Hormead, Great, a village and a parish in Herts. The village stands near the river Quin, 2½ miles E from Buntingford station on the G.E.R. It has a post office under Bnn-tingford (R.S.O.); money order office, Hare Street; telegraph office, Buntingford. The parish contains also part of Hare Street village. Acreage, 1968; population, 436. The-manor belonged to Edgar Atheling, and passed to the De Veres. Hormead Bury is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage, united with that of Little Hormead, in the diocese of St Albans; joint net value, £150 with residence-Patrons, St John's College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient building of flint, and there is a small Congregational chapel. Bricks and tiles are made.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hormead St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Buntingford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Hormead from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hormead, Great (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Great Hormead are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.