Drayton Parslow, Buckinghamshire
Drayton Parslow, a parish in Bucks, 3 miles ESE from Swanbourne station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5¼ from Bletchley. It has a post office under Bletchley station; money order and telegraph office, Stewkley. Acreage, 1750; population, 425. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; gross yearly value, £480. The church is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style. It has an ancient font and one or two brasses. There are Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels. The village stands on an eminence, and is noted for its fine bracing air.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Drayton-Parslow Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Winslow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1560.
Church of England
The Holy Trinity (parish church)
The parish church of the Holy Trinity, dating from the 12th century, is a stone building, chiefly in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower containing 6 bells and a service bell: three bells were added in 1935, and a ringing chamber installed, the greater portion of the expense being defrayed by the Rev. William Wyncliffe Lucas LL.M., M.A.: there is a 15th century font, adorned with crocketed niches, and a slab with fragments of brasses to the Blakenoll family, 1535, consisting of two groups of children, the effigies of the parents having disappeared: there are also the remains of an altar to St. Catherine, and the shaft of an ancient churchyard cross: the church possesses a solid silver communion cup with cover dated 1569: the church was enlarged and thoroughly restored and reseated in 1863: the stained east window was erected in 1884 as a memorial to the Rev. Benjamin Spurrell M.A.: there are 150 sittings: there is a list of rectors from the year 1232.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Drayton Parslow was in Winslow Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Drayton Parslow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Drayton-Parslow (Holy Trinity))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Drayton Parslow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online