Graveley, a village and a parish in Herts, on the Roman road to Verulam, 1¼ mile N by E from Stevenage station on the G.N.R., and 3 miles ESE from Hitchin, with a post and telegraph office under Stevenage; money order office, Stevenage. Acreage, 1838; population, 406. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Chivesfield, in the diocese of St Albans; joint gross value, £370 with residence. The church is ancient but good, and has an embattled tower. Chesfield Park is a fine mansion standing in an extensive park.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Graveley St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Hitchin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Graveley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Graveley (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Graveley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.