Gilston, a parish in Herts, on an affluent of the river Stort, near the boundary with Essex, a quarter of a mile from Burnt Mill station, and 4 miles WSW of Sawbridge-worth station on the G.E.R. Post town, Harlow; money order and telegraph office, Sawbridgeworth. Acreage, 985; population, 260. Gilston Park is a mansion erected in 1852, standing in a beautiful park, and is the seat of the Bowlby family, who are lords of the manor. The living is a rectory ra the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £233 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Albans. The church is an ancient building of flint in the Early English style, and has a tower and spire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Ware|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gilston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Gilstone)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Gilston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.