Flaunden, a village and a parish in Herts, on the river Chess, at the boundary with Bucks, 4 miles SW from Box-moor station on the L. &N.W.R., 5 ENE of Amersham, and 5 NW of Rickmansworth, with a post office under Ches-ham (R.S.O.); money order office, Bovingdon; telegraph office, Latimer. Acreage, 919; population, 181. The living was consolidated in 1876 with the rectory of Latimer in Bucks. The united rectory is in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, £220 with residence. Patron, Lord Chesham. The church was erected in 1838, and is a plain building of flint and brick, being one of the earliest, if not the very first, of Sir Gilbert Scott's churches. The old parish church, situated 1¼ mile nearer Latimer, has fallen into decay, the roof and E wall having both disappeared. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Hemel Hempstead|
|Poor Law union||Hemel-Hempstead|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Flaunden from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Flaunden are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.