Essendon, a village and a parish in Herts, on the river Lea, 2 miles S from Cole Green station on the G.N.R., and 3 E by N from Hatfield. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Hatfield. Acreage, 2331; population, 540. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Sfc Albans; nefc value, £321 with residence. Patron, the Marquis of Salisbury. The church, which was rebuilt in 1883, is a building of flint, with dressings of Ancaster stone. Essendon Place, Camfield, and Bedwell Park are chief residences.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Essendon St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Hatfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Essendon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Essendon (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Essendon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.