Elstree or Idlestree, Hertfordshire
Elstree or Idlestree, a parish in Hertfordshire, and a village partly in this parish, partly in Aldenham parish, Herts, and partly in the Middlesex parishes of Little Stan-more and Edgware. The village stands near the M.R., 3 miles NNW of Edgware, and has a station about 1 mile distant known as Elstree and Boreham Wood, and a post, money order and telegraph office (R.S.O.) The parish comprises 1508 acres; population of the civil parish, 805; of the ecclesiastical, 1086. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £360 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good and handsome, and has a modern tower and spire. There is a Congregational chapel. The Regent's Canal Company have a large reservoir here covering a space of 200 acres. Boreham Wood is a hamlet 1 mile to the NE of the village, where there is a mission room worked from the parish church.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Elstree St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Barnet|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Elstree or Idlestree from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Elstree, or Idlestree (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.