East Barnet, Hertfordshire
Barnet, East, a parish and a village in Herts, on the G.N.R., near Oakleigli Park station, lj mile ESE of Barnet, with a post and money order office; telegraph office, New Barnet. Acreage, 1698; population of the civil parish, 5128; of the ecclesiastical, 1403. There is an ancient church, erected by one of the early abbots of St Albans. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £224 with residence. Patron, the Crown. The parish is governed by a local board of 12 members.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Barnet The Virgin Mary|
|Poor Law union||Barnet|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Barnet from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Barnet, East (The Virgin Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.