Digswell, a village and a parish in Herts. The village stands oil the river Maran, adjacent to the G.N.R., half a mile SSE from Welwyn station, and 4 miles N of Hatfield. It was known at Domesday as Dichelswelle, and it came to be a market-town, but has declined. The parish comprises 1674 acres; population, 249. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Welwyn. Digswell House is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; value, £266 with residence. The church is a building in the Early English style, and it has some very interesting tombs and monuments. Digswell Water is an adjacent hamlet.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Digswell St. John the Evangelist|
|Poor Law union||Welwyn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Digswell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Digswell (St. John the Evangelist))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Digswell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.