Cottered, a village and a parish in Herts, at the sources of the river Beane, 2½ miles W of Buntingford town and station (G.E.K.), with a post office under Buntingford (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Bnntingford. Acreage of the civil parish, 1833; population, 357; of the ecclesiastical, 373. Broadfield and Hare Street are hamlets. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Broadfield, in the diocese of StAlbans; joint net yearly value, £364. The church, a building of flint in the Perpendicular style, was thoroughly restored in 1886.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cottered St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Buntingford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cottered from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cottered (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Cottered are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.