Codicote, a village and a parish in Herts. The village stands near the river Maran and the G.N.R., 3 miles N by W of Welwyn station on that line, and 8 S by E of Hitchin. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office unde Welwyn, and was once a market-town. The parish comprises 2532 acres; population, 1123. The Node is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; value, £243 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is ancient, in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Codicote St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Hitchin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Codicote from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Codicote (St. Giles))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Codicote are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.