UK Genealogy Archives logo

Clothall, Hertfordshire

Historical Description

Clothall, formerly Cleyhull, a parish in Herts, 2 miles SE by S of Baldock station on the G.N.R. Post town, Bal-dock, which is the money order office; telegraph office, Weston. Acreage, 3525; population, 291. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; value, £471 with residence. Patron, the Marquis of Salisbury, K.G. The church, which is an ancient building of flint and stone, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, has six brasses, three of which are of priests, one being in choir habit, and other monuments, and is good. John Savage, the " Aristippus of his age," was rector in 1747.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHertfordshire 
Ecclesiastical parishClothall St. Mary 
HundredOdsey 
Poor Law unionHitchin 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in association with the Hertfordshire Archives & Local Studies have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for Clothall


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Clothall from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Clothall are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictNorth Hertfordshire
CountyHertfordshire
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtSG7
Post TownBaldock