Chorley Wood, a hamlet and an ecclesiastical parish in Rickmansworth parish, Herts, on the verge of the county, on the river Chess, 2½ miles NW of Rickmansworth station on the L. & N.W.R., with a station of its own on the Metropolitan railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Rickmansworth (R.S.O.) Population, 915. It was constituted in 1845. The Cedars is a fine mansion, which was rebuilt in 1865. The living is a vicarage in the diocese ofStAlbans; net value, £301 with residence. The church, originally erected in 1845, was rebuilt in 1870, with the exception of the tower, and is a building of flint and stone in the Early English style.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Chorleywood are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.