Dorton or Dourton, a village and a parish in Buckinghamshire, near Bernwood Forest, 7 miles N by W of Thame town, and 2¼ E from Brill station on the Metropolitan railway. Post town, Thame; money order and telegraph office, Brill. Acreage of the civil parish, 1477; population, 137; of the ecclesiastical, which includes Ashendon, 336. Dorton House, erected in 1627, is a seat of the Aubreys; it formerly belonged to the Dormers. A chalybeate spa is situated at the foot of Brill Hill. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Ashendon, in the diocese of Oxford; joint value, £180 The church is old but good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dorton St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Thame|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1694.
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The parish church of St. John the Baptist is a small building of stone, in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and a western turret covered with lead and containing 3 bells: there are 90 sittings.
Dorton was in Thame Registration District from 1837 to 1932 and Aylesbury Registration District from 1932 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dorton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Dorton (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Dorton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online