Bygrave, a parish in Herts, near Icknield Street and Metley Hill, 2½ miles NE of Baldock station on the G.N.R. Post town, Baldock, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 1794; population of the civil parish, 99; of the ecclesiastical, 195. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £237 with residence, in the gift of the Marquess of Salisbury, K.G. The church is an ancient edifice dating from the 14th century.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hitchin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bygrave from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bygrave)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Bygrave are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.