Buckland, a parish in Herts, near Ermine Street and the sources of the Rib and Quin rivers, 3 miles N of Buntingford station on the G.E.R. It includes the village of Chipping, and has a post office under Buntingford, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 1629; population of the civil parish, 376; of the ecclesiastical, 483. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Albans; net value, £155 with residence. Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient building of flint consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch, and an embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Buckland St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Buntingford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Buckland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Buckland (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Buckland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.