Brickendon, a liberty in All Saints parish, Herts, which for civil purposes forms a parish in the union of Hertford,. 3 miles S of Hertford. Acreage, 1534; population, 1007. Brickendon-Bury belonged formerly to Waltham Abbey, and is now the seat of the Hill family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||All Saints Hertford|
|Poor Law union||Hertford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brickendon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Brickendon)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Brickendon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.